This is a list of ministries, denominations, and other religious groups I evaluated to have false and harmful teaching. Their materials should be avoided, because demons spread easily when we accept false teaching, like false gospels (see The True Gospel and Imposters for more)
and other spiritual teaching.
The groups listed here are largely composed of well-meaning Christians and other spiritual believers, so we should not be judgmental of their members. Most of them were just taught wrong or
believe in the wrong things. We should judge their teachings and
organizations - examine everything carefully and keep only what is good and true (1 Thessalonians 5:21-22).
Most people in these groups are completely unaware of the enemy's influence on them and their beliefs. Many of their members are also not in leadership or teaching roles, and so should not be viewed negatively just because they claim to be Catholic, Mormon, Pentecostal, etc.
I was privileged throughout my life to be helped by members of many Christian organizations that are listed here. My local Catholic community was especially supportive for my family as refugees of the Vietnam War. It is the teaching and bad things these groups spread that I want to warn about.
I am not advocating complete isolation of people that belong to
these groups, though the New Testament does say we should not associate
with people who teach to deny Christ had come (2 John 1:9-11)
. I give these warnings so God's People leave these organizations and their false teachings. Many of them belong to the Harlot Babylon
of Revelation, which we are told to "come out of her, my people, so that you will not participate in her sins and receive her plagues...
" (Revelation 18:4)
God has used people in the Harlot and groups below to do His
will, whether they belong to Him or not. He has control over all things
in creation, even demons and people influenced by them, but not all
things are directly from God, like the acts of Hitler and the Nazis or
pagan societies. God brought these people and kingdoms into being and
some of their acts were and are God's will, but they also live or lived
in sin and are influenced by the enemy, so not everything is directly
Some groups listed here do get some good guidance from God, but their interpretations and teachings are also influenced by the enemy. I do not want to diminish the contribution of anybody in the Body of Christ, even if they are influenced by darkness. I had fallen to false guidance as well, and if you claim to be immune from the enemy or that your teachings are immune, then you have fallen to a common deception; even the elect will be misled (Matthew 24:24; Mark 13:22).
The Lord brought me through more than a decade of spiritual warfare to see the truth of the church's negative influences, and so I can help us get out of them. I know it was God's plan for me to go through bad spiritual paths to learn about them. The Lord give me many physical evidences of this predestiny, which I share in my personal background page
I could only see what was wrong teaching in the church when I came out of the spiritual blindness or brainwashing that accepting lies and false guidance creates. You will also have to come out of bad things you've accepted if you are to understand correctly, so if you want to look at the teachings of the groups listed here, I suggest extreme caution. It takes experience and an objective mind, free from false beliefs and false teachings, to see bad teaching and false spiritual guidance.
Ministries And Churches To Avoid
A summary of the kind of bad teaching these ministries and churches promote is provided. A common thread these groups share is that they are all influenced by false guidance from imposters of God, His Spirit, saints, and angels who claim to be the real thing and can give real supernatural miracles to back up their false guidance. The guidance and miracles they give can be very hard to discern from true guidance from God, so if you are interested in learning common tactics of the enemy, see Light Within
- Take His Heart Ministries and Roy Sauzek[3.1.50] - I worked with this ministry and their teachings for over six years, so I have intimate knowledge of their workings and spiritual guidance. Roy is their lead pastor and writes most of the teachings on their website. They did get some good guidance from God and truth mixed with false guidance, but I found they are misled by a false-christ spirit and spread a spirit of slavery with their Brideship or three spots teachings, such as mandatory tithing and other mandatory acts. They use a form of guided meditation and emphasize spiritual revelation that is also used by many groups listed here. These practices invite demons since it is a form of divination. Their website includes a lot of false guidance, like dreams, words, and visions that are not truly from the Lord.
God's powers and gifts work independently and at the same time as false
gifts and powers from demons, so just because a ministry or person
performs deliverances or seems to get good guidance from God does not
mean they are free from corruption by dark forces. Everything gets mixed
up when people have imposters and demons working in their spiritual
lives, so evaluating signs, guidance, or miracles by matching scripture
or accepting spiritual powers does not truly validate them as being from
God. We need much better discernment than matching things to be in line with scripture, which can also be corrupted with bad translations and interpretations.
- God Calling[3.1.72] book and ministry and other teachings by the "Two Listeners,"[18.104.22.168] such as God Calling 2: God At Eventide
- Arthur James Russell (A.J. Russell) and his book For Sinners Only - AJ Russell is also the editor for God Calling and God Calling 2: God At Eventide. In fact, the Two Listeners started their spiritual practices because one of them read AJ Russell's book, For Sinners Only[3.1.73]. However, after using the God Calling book, I found it is false guidance from a false-christ spirit that is very similar to the one spread by Take His Heart Ministries.
I actually got the God Calling book from Roy Sauzek at Take His Heart, who said it should be called God Speaking. His ministry believes it is God's direct voice as I used to believe, but after coming out of blindness from accepting their false guidance, I could see that the God Calling spirit and Take His Heart's spirit contradict each other. However, they both use truth, more carnal ways of following God, and techniques of brainwashing to control and prevent deeper thought. One of the Two Listeners was also Roman Catholic[3.1.73], which is a denomination giving false gospels and teaching.
- Paramahansa Yogananda and his teachings and books, like The Yoga of Jesus: Understanding the Hidden Teachings of the Gospels - Paramahansa Yogananda teaches meditative spiritual practices that invite demons. These practices are similar to Take His Heart's, A.J. Russell's, and the Two Listeners - trying to listen for spiritual guidance in quiet surroundings and recording what you get. I noticed similarities in how these groups get shared revelations and spiritual guidance, like visions and words, among more than one person. Roy thinks this shared revelation is a sign things are from God, but I have since found out that demons can affect more than one person at the same time and over great distances, so shared revelation is not a test of validity for guidance from God.
Also, even if you pray and ask for God by name when you try to get spiritual revelation or guidance, demons will interfere and often replace God as I have found with these practices, because meditation or self-realization techniques to focus on getting spiritual guidance is a form of divination. We should simply pray and let God speak and guide as He sees fit, which is often not immediate. We should not focus on getting spiritual guidance in the moment, because God does not always reply quickly or through individual guidance. He can use other people and events you encounter to guide as well.
- Deepak Chopra and his teachings and books, like You are the Universe, The Book of Secrets, and The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success - Dr. Deepak Chopra's teachings are similar to that of Paramahans Yogananda above. They use meditation, which they call "mindfulness exercises" and mix Eastern Buddhist/Hindu spiritualism with Christian beliefs.
Meditation mixed with spiritualism is a form of divination that other ministries I mentioned here teach and practice, and using them invites demons as I noted above.
I also noted on a PBS special that promoted Deepak Chopra's material, he used Christian symbols, like a sculpture of an angel, and an Old Testament verse, "Be still and know that I am God" (Psalm 46:10), which he used to emphasize the importance of silence in prayer and meditation. That scripture and overemphasis on silence is also used by other ministries listed here.
Dr. Chopra used these Christian symbols alongside Eastern spiritual symbols and teaching. However, the great majority of his teaching was not Biblical and expressed Eastern religious concepts and laws, like karma and spiritual energies.
This mixing often gets Christians hooked into unhealthy spiritual practices that have demons associated with them. I recommend staying away from any teachings that mix Christian beliefs with Eastern or other forms of spirituality, such as tribal spiritualism.
- Amighty Wind Ministries and Elisabeth Elijah (Elisheva Eliyahu)[22.214.171.124] - Their teaching includes guidance from a false-holy-spirit, which they call Mother Shkhinah/Momma Shekhinah. They treat this spirit as God and pray to and worship her much like some Catholics worship and pray to the Mother Mary and other saints. Amighty Wind Ministries also have many prophecies and other spiritual guidance on their website that I do not believe are from the Lord.
Elisabeth Elijah has spiritual roots in the Pentecostal Church, which overemphasizes direct personal revelation and spiritual gifts like the first groups listed, however, these groups do not realize that many of their spiritual gifts are not truly from God or His Spirit, but are actually fakes from the enemy, who have real spiritual power to work signs and miracles (2 Thessalonians 2:9).
- Pentecostal or Apostolic Church, Word of Faith, and other churches and ministries emphasizing spiritual gifts and prophecy - These branches of Christianity overemphasize baptism of the Holy Spirit and often overemphasize a personal relationship with God that include excessive prayer and seeking of spiritual guidance that is similar to the groups above.
Eternal salvation through a personal relationship with God is a false gospel and spiritual powers and false-gifts-of-the-spirit are easily faked by the enemy. Things like visions, words, and dreams should always be tested and examined (1 Thessalonians 5:19-21).
Ministries in the apostolic and prophetic/charismatic sects, like the House of Prayer Movement and Jeremiah Johnson, often have the same kind of false-christ, false-holy-spirits working in them as the above groups that give false prophetic guidance and spiritual gifts that appear authentic, like found in the Catholic Church below.
For more details showing the false teachings and miracles in the Pentecostal/Apostolic Church and other ministries inspired by the Word of Faith movement, see "Evaluation of Christ Embassy's beliefs" by Enoch Alademerin[3.1.109].
- The Catholic Church teaches false gospels or ways to be saved and other bad teachings. They also practice the worship of saints and angels, which is idolatry and has brought imposters of the Lord, saints, and angels that perform miracles and other signs in their names. These miracles and wonders are not truly of God but are "in accord with the activity of Satan, with all power and signs and false wonders, and the deception of wickedness..." (2 Thessalonians 2:9-10).
- The Orthodox Church teaches a false gospel of salvation by works of righteousness and have many accounts of miracles, many of which I believe are false miracles from the enemy. They also claim to teach the original doctrines of the first apostles, but after examination of their teachings and stories of miracles and wonders, I had to conclude they are being deceived by the enemy and blinded by false teaching.
The Lord even gave me evidence to counter their claims of the miraculously preserved bodies of dead saints about a week before I needed to use it in reply to a Greek Orthodox. For a deeper look at that and Orthodox teaching, see What Does Spiritual Blindness Look Like?
- The Mormon Church or Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (LDS Church) - Teach a false gospel and maintain false-scripture, such as the Book of Mormon[3.1.35].
- Jehovah's Witnesses teach a false gospel and adhere to misinterpretations of scripture (their New World Translation Bible). For example, they do not believe in the complete divinity of Jesus or that the Holy Spirit is a person of God[3.1.29].
- The Church of Scientology[5.2.2], like Islam, is not a truly Christian organization, but is listed here because their spiritual beliefs and teachings should be avoided. They also use spiritual revelation like the first groups teach. They are also known to use intimidation and brainwashing techniques[5.2.1, 6.3.4], and like other cults, they support the disintegration of family and healthy relationships with excessive isolation from parents and family members[2.5.4]. Scientology even mislead people by using Christian symbols, like the cross and dove, on their website homepage[5.2.2]. However, they do not believe in God or the divinity of Jesus. Their notion of God is of a supreme being universe "force" or "urge toward existence as infinity" they call the Eighth Dynamic[5.2.3].
- Islam was founded in the 6th or 7th Century[5.1.1], but is not a continuation or correction of Christianity as some Muslims claim. It is a corruption of the truth and scripture. The founder of Islam, Muhammad, claims to have been taught by the Archangel of God, Gabriel[5.1.1], but much Islamic teaching contradicts the Bible and Muslims do not believe in the divinity of Jesus. They maintain false-scripture in their bible called the Quran. See Conversation About Islam for more details on Islam and how to handle a Muslim's beliefs.
- Judaism - True, untainted Judaism is now extinct because of thousands of years of corruption from pagan and dark forces since the times of the first kings of Israel and even before. The state of corruption in Judaism by dark forces is the same as that of the church. Many Jewish traditions and "law" today are not truly of God, but came from man-made rules and Satan, like found in the Jewish Talmud and Mishnah, which came after the Babylonian exile and centuries afterwards.
The Lord warned against changing His words and laws (Deuteronomy 4:2, 12:32; Proverbs 30:6), and Jesus told the Jews they wrongfully upheld traditions of man over that of God's word (Mark 7:6-13; Matthew 15:3-9). Christ even called some Jews and their synagogues, "of the synagogue of Satan" (Revelation 2:9, 3:9), because of their corrupted ways.
Christ came to bring the Jews out of the heavy yoke in the Law of Moses (the Torah) and into His "new thing" and "new covenant" prophesied by Jeremiah when the Lord said to His People, "How long will you go here and there, O faithless daughter? For Yehovah [the Lord] has created a new thing in the earth — A woman will encompass a man... Behold, days are coming,' declares Yehovah, 'when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah, not like the covenant which I made with their fathers in the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, although I was a husband to them... But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days... I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. They will not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, 'Know the Lord,' for they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them... for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more" (Jeremiah 31:22, 31:31-34).
Those words of Jeremiah have been fulfilled, because the "woman" that "will encompass a man" is the Bride of Christ or the church, the "new covenant" is the New Covenant that Jesus brought into force with His first coming, and God's law written onto our hearts is the ways of Christ and His Law emphasizing forgiveness, mercy, and love for each other and God. The part about "they will not teach again... saying, 'Know the Lord,' for they will all know Me," refers to how nearly all nations and peoples around the world now know who Christ Jesus is, so if you are a Jew reading this, take into account Jeremiah's prophecy and how Christ has fulfilled it and forgives all our sin through the New Covenant. May it give you confidence in leaving the old ways given to Moses and see that your God Yehovah is the very same Lord (Adonai) HaMashciah Yehoshua - Christ Jesus - speaking through Jeremiah. For more about the New Covenant, see The True Gospel and Imposters.
- The Church of Satan - While it may seem obvious that any Satanic group be avoided, it is not so obvious how they attract people and that they have members in popular media and our communities. Actor Christian Bale gave thanks to Satan publicly at the 2019 Golden Globe awards, and I remember seeing someone wearing a necklace with an upside down cross pendant and wondered what it meant. I thought, maybe it was like the sideways cross pendants that often symbolize Christ and our own carrying of the cross under burden, suffering, and pain.
However, later I found the upside down cross is used both in the church and by atheists and Satanists. The church uses it as a symbol of the apostle Peter being crucified upside down (the Petrine cross), which came from an old belief passed down by tradition but is not verified[3.1.118].
Outside the church, atheists and Satanists use the upside down cross as a symbol of opposition to Christianity and God. Upside down crosses can be found in the Church of Satan's "Black House" main hall and in artwork with pentagrams and the Baphomet or goat head within an inverted 5-pointed star. The Church of Satan also uses a Patriarchal cross (traditional Christian cross with two cross bars) with an infinity sign underneath it as an official symbol.
The Church of Satan officially denounces worship of any spiritual beings, even the devil[5.3.1]. But whether that statement is in ignorance or deception is unclear. What is clear is their beliefs and pursuits are atheist[5.3.1], centered on gratification of the self, and driven by the enemy. Many of their beliefs directly oppose what Christ teaches[5.3.2], but they make their morality sound sensible and attractive by opposing the hypocritical and seemingly impossible promises made by the church and other religious sects, while they promote what appears to be reasonable and healthy self-wellness, which is seen in their statement in support of Christian Bale's gratitude to Satan: “To us, Satan is a symbol of pride, liberty and individualism, and it serves as an external metaphorical projection of our highest personal potential”[6.14.1].
This emphasis on personal success and potential seems harmless, but it is also used as a lure by imposter spirits of the Lord and other demons that are linked to the other groups mentioned here (see Light Within for more details).
- Other ministries using false scripture and teaching include:
The Urantia Foundation and Urantia Book[126.96.36.199].
They tout testimonies of miracles and communication
with angels, however, Islam does the same but was deceived by an
imposter of the Archangel Gabriel (see Islam above). Just because
spiritual signs, wonders, and miracles are given does not mean they are from God. Writings and teachings need to be examined closely and can often be quickly dismissed by identifying red flags, such as the use of false gospels (see The True Gospel and Imposters for more), overly religious teaching, and uncommon and un-Biblical "cult" language that refer to things in unusual ways.
- People and ministries evaluated to be guided by false teaching and imposters of the Lord, His Spirit, and/or saints and angels. Some of these groups share false spiritual guidance, like words and visions, that are identical to ones above, and like them, they may get some good guidance, perform successful deliverances, and have true gifts from God, but they are misled by their demons with so much false guidance that I would not use their teaching or materials unless you have much experience discerning what is good and bad. Names are listed in alphabetical order by last name or ministry name and names are repeated from above to make them easier to find.
Much of the contemporary church and ministries teach false or incomplete gospels (see The True Gospel and Imposters for details)
and share other bad teaching like the groups above. In fact, I now recognize teachings from local churches I attended as a new Christian to have come from false teachings, like found in the God Calling
books. Bad teaching is so common in the church that no one can assume they have things correct.
I would leave the churches and organizations listed above, but I would give other churches and ministries the benefit of doubt. However, I would use discretion and evaluate whatever is taught, as all Christians should not simply follow blindly (1 Thessalonians 5:20:21; Deuteronomy 13:1-3). I would especially be wary of and closely examine people and ministries sharing a lot of spiritual guidance, like visions, words, and dreams. I invite everyone to examine the spiritual guidance I got as well.
It is not the pattern of true prophets and ministers to constantly and publicly share a lot of words, visions, dreams, etc. and give their interpretations. Interpretation belongs to God and not man (2 Peter 1:20-21; Genesis 40:8), and the original apostles and prophets did not conduct ministry or share spiritual guidance like I see being done too often on the Internet.
Also be wary of churches and teaching that preach eternal salvation by having a personal relationship with God or adoration for Him and other saints and angels. It is a false gospel and is similar to the Pentecostal Church's and other Evangelical beliefs[3.1.38]
. The first groups I listed also emphasize this kind of more carnal worldly way of following God. It invites imposters of the Lord that usurp your relationship with God. They want your adoration and attention and will take the love you give God and use it against you to make you follow them and accept false teaching.
God never taught more carnal adoration for Him in the Bible. That is not the kind of love for the Lord we should show (see True Love - What does it mean to God? for more about loving God)
. God wants our loyalty and righteousness, and He values our enthusiasm for Him, like when King David danced and rejoiced in public when they brought the Ark of the Covenant to Jerusalem (2 Samuel 6:14-15)
The enemy, though, will use our love for God against us. This happened to Take His Heart Ministries and Elizabeth Elijah of Amighty Wind Ministries when they were urged by their spirits to spread teaching. Elizabeth said in one of her pages she was afraid to not obey out of fear of sinning, and Take His Heart behaved similarly. We should certainly fear God if we do sin, since He judges all sin and it is what He refers to by "fear of the Lord" (Colossians 3:22-25; Ephesians 6:5; Psalm 34:11-22, 111:10; Proverbs 1:7, 9:10, 10:27, 14:27, 16:6, 19:23; 22:4; Job 28:28; 2 Chronicles 19:7-10).
However, that refers to true sin. Imposters and religious spirits preach false sin, like mandatory tithing, and use fear to get absolute obedience. The spirits of slavery being spread by Take His Heart Ministries
, God Calling
, and other groups here also use this fear to get obedience, which is a part of brainwashing people. They offer a solution (their ways and thinking) to remove punishment and pain they inflict to get obedience[6.3.5, 6.3.6]
God does not shackle us with a demon or spirit of slavery just because we stop tithing or obeying a teaching. We do not receive "a spirit of slavery leading to fear again" when we live in Christ (Romans 8:15). Yet this is what happened when I stopped practicing Take His Heart's ways and when a 3rd-Party working with Take His Heart stopped tithing. A literal spirit of slavery actually interfered with us physically and tries to control us, but "where the Spirit of the Lord is there is freedom" (2 Corinthians 3:17), since we are not slaves to law and our yoke with Christ is easy and light (Matthew 11:30).
I would also be wary of ministries and teaching that overemphasize evangelizing, like the Jehovah's Witnesses do by going door to door or going to public places and evangelizing or preaching at random. Overzealous evangelizing is a symptom of religious spirits and we do not need to be so zealous in our recruiting for God, because most of the world already knows Who Christ is.
This was prophesied by Jeremiah, "They will not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them" (Jeremiah 31:34).
Most nations and communities now know who Jesus is and what the church believes. However, I am not saying we should never evangelize or preach. There are still peoples and individuals who need to turn to God and missionaries are doing good work around the world. We should be witnessing and using our knowledge and Godly wisdom to help people we encounter and live with, but it should not be an overzealous preaching that is often driven by religious spirits.
We should not be constantly pestering people about Christ or trying to teach them what is right. Instead, try to correct people, especially believers, a few times and leave them alone if they don't want to change (2 Timothy 2:14-18; Titus 3:9-10). This is what God does (Psalm 81:11-12; Proverbs 1:23-33) and teaches; "Blessed is the man who does not... stand in the path of sinners" (Psalm 1:1).
May you be blessed by further knowledge and truth, through HaMashiach Yehoshua - Christ Jesus. Amen.